Thursday, April 21, 2011

Stormy weather


 I used to think that weather conversations were just for people who didn't know what else to talk about.  That hasn't been the case lately.  It seems to have a lot to do with our daily lives here in the Midwest.  The other day from around 4 pm to 10 pm or later...we were under one warning alert after another.  Reports of tornadoes touching down all over, and wall clouds forming.  We were spared...but many areas around us had a lot of damage. 

Lots of hail measuring going on also.  With face book and twitter...the news stations were getting lots of reports of various sizes of hail.  Some were shaped like eggs.  Others, baseball sized coming down at 90 miles an hour.  I was just remembering a woman I worked with in 1975 who was from Quebec, and had moved here to St Louis with her husband and family.  She said the only thing she knew about Missouri was that we had tornadoes and brown recluse spiders...and she was afraid of both of them.    At the time I thought that sounded strange...that we were known for these things.  This year so far it is not just Missouri that has had scary weather...it seems to be everywhere.
Stay safe.....and I will try and do the same...

I forgot to mention that these two photos came from a weather website.

7 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

Yes, the weather has sucked big time lately. We were under a tornado watch until 2 AM, the other night. I was scared to go to sleep. Fortunately, we didn't get a tornado. Today was fairly nice, but heavy rain and thudnerstorms are in the forecast again for the next five days! Easter will be warm but rainy and stormy. Son Joe is arriving with grandaughter Mckenzie, Monday, for a 5 day visit. According to the forecast we won't see the sun until Wednesday. Oh well, I could go on and on, but I'd better not. Too depressing. Have a Happy Easter, Brenda.

Gigi Ann said...

We have had a very cool spring this year. So far we haven't had any tornado watches, but they will follow the warmer weather. I keep the TV on to see where the bad weather is when it is in our area. I am learning it is part of the mid-west lifestyle.

That hail is a big one, was it in your area? Or somewhere else. I wouldn't want to get hit on the head with hail that size. OUCH!!! for sure.

Rudee said...

THose are some awe inspiring photos, Brenda. You may want to wear a hard hat instead of an Easter bonnet this week.

The Bug said...

We apparently live in the tornado capital of the world - but it's claim to fame was all the way back in 1974, so I'm not scared. Nuh uh - not me (ducking into the closte now)...

Sandy said...

wow that is some kind of big hail....ohhh stay safe w/these spring storms.

Winifred said...

Oh my goodness Brenda those photographs are amazing. Those clouds are so dramatic. I have to say I didn't realise so much of America is prone to tornadoes.

We moan a lot about our weather in the UK but we don't get much in the way of dangerous stuff thankfully. At present we are really lucky and having better weather than we had most of last summer. Very weird!

Hope you have a lovely Easter and better weather too.

Sandy said...

i just heard the airport was
damaged bad...how are you...did it hit your area....a little concerned here for you all...

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever