Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blackbird....





This morning I was looking forward to sitting for a few hours... sipping coffee and reading.  I was just settled into my comfy chair when a black bird decided to pay me a visit via the fireplace.  We have had this happen a few times over the years and it is always black birds that do this.  One year we had 2 of them make their way through the chute (that we thought was closed) and plop down below.  Trapped and afraid.  I waited until he settled down a bit...then opened the doors and screens.  I went about my business and it didn't take too long for him to figure out I was offering him a way to get out of the dark sooty mess and fly away.  He flew into the kitchen probably because we have tall ceilings and a ledge.  I quickly opened the back door and off he went.
A few years ago... when we had 2 black bird visitors it wasn't this easy.  They wanted to fly around the house and hang out for hours.....it seemed.  I think Bob got the net for the pool and I had a broom and we were chasing them around the house trying to shoo them out the door.   About that time our son stopped by for a visit.  We were very focused on our goal of chasing them out with our weapons...so we quickly said Hello and he stood there looking at us with a puzzled look.  I don't think he saw the birds right away, so he must have thought we had invented a new game called "chase the old man with a broom and catch the old woman with a net".  I don't think he wanted to play.  Just another day at the nut house.

5 comments:

Rudee said...

I would give anything to see a picture of you and your husband chasing those birds. Very funny story today, and I love the music.

The Bug said...

LOLOL - that is hilarious. Yep - I'd like to see a picture too :)

Brenda said...

Rudee and Dana,
Maybe when Sandy's hand gets better I will ask her to draw a photo. It was pretty comical.

Renie Burghardt said...

That must have been a funny thing to see, Brenda, you and Bob and the net and stuff. I had a hummy fly in the sun room two years ago, and I was so afraid a cat would come in and catch it. But I offered my finger and it flew right on it and I took him back to the open window, and off he went.

Sandy said...

wow, nice visitor...

i've had that happen once a long time ago..but forgot until i saw your post.

just saw your comment...i'll have to see what i can do...one of these days

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever