Sunday, May 29, 2011

We are finally having some really nice weather....

 Yesterday I went down to Main Street again because they had an Irish Festival on the Riverfront.  The lot that I parked at had a memorial area that I had never seen before.  It is in a place that is quiet...for those who may want to reflect on what Memorial Day is all about.  I very much appreciate the freedom we have in our country, but I still do not like wars.  I don't even like having arguments or listening to people having arguments.   But I also  know that some wars have been necessary, when mentally ill leaders of countries use their power to destroy other human beings.  It is just too difficult to stand by and allow this sort of treatment to continue.  I certainly am in no position to understand any of the wars we have been plagued with...but I do feel that some were most likely necessary.  And for that I do give thanks to all who have served.
 


The only thing I saw at the festival was these big dogs and 


the greyhound adoption booth. 

There were plenty of food booths and a band at the stage area.  Several tents for Irish clothing and jewelry...but it has been very disappointing these past 2 years.  I don't know what is going on.  It used to be great.  I will have to speak to the Mayor about it.


Today I went out and bought an inexpensive grill that Bob put together here.  We have done without one for several years.  I just decided we needed one today.  He put it all together just in time to barbeque some pork steaks.  Our son came over and helped us.  He has a recipe he came up with where he rubs the pork with olive oil.  Then he puts seasoned salt and seasoned pepper and garlic and lets it set for awhile.  He puts Sweet Baby Ray's barbeque sauce on while grilling it.  It was very good.  We had corn on the cob and baked beans and salad.  Apple pie and ice cream for dessert.  Then we retired to the family room to watch a movie Bobby brought over called "Hereafter" directed by Clint Eastwood.  At first I had a hard time getting into it, but halfway through, it all starts to tie together and I thought it was a really good movie.  It started to remind me of a lady I used to work with that had this "gift" for sensing spirits.  She was starting to freak me out at times. Once she revealed to me that she had this gift.. I always felt like she knew things about me and others we worked with that were just well....creepy.  I quit working there about 7 years ago, so I can't remember all the details.  She said she didn't like that she had this gift.... but she couldn't help it.  Another lady we worked with had a near death experience when she was in an automobile accident.  The night of the accident, a young woman was trying to kill herself by driving over to the other side of the highway and hit head on to this ladies van.  Her husband and children were in the van and had minor injuries, but this lady somehow ended up underneath the van, with the weight of the van on her.  She said she remembered dying and seeing the lady who killed herself.   The police had come to the hospital to take her statement when she got better, and she told them about seeing a lady there and described the clothes she was wearing and what she looked like.  No one knew how she could have seen her because she was unconscious, and the lady that died had been taken away from the scene before she regained consciousness.  I have read books and heard other stories from people who have had near death experiences.  I think it is really interesting.  I don't have the "gift" of spirits, but I do get these feelings that are very strong about something that is either happening or is about to happen.  Sometimes I am right on with it...but others times not.  So I don't really know what to make of all of these things.
 I have been spending all of my spare time going through old photos that I scanned in the computer, and I am having a hard time organizing them into folders.  Some...I may just share on my blog and at least I will know they are somewhere on the blog.  Like the ones of our kids doing silly things.  Just hope they aren't reading my blog when I decide to do a post about them.

7 comments:

Sandy said...

I say post those crazy photos of the kids, we all will enjoy it!!

Nice post to read. I had spirits around a lot when my mom died, and then when my brother died. they were noisy too. when my dad died - nothing - and he was the one who believed the same way i do - very open to that kind of thing.

what a strange story about the woman and the accident.

i go to the NDE forum sometimes and read their accounts...very interesting.

love the photos of the dogs...

and bob looks happy with his barbecue. I love your house by the way -....

Brenda said...

Sandy,
I will have to check out the NDE forum. I love it when I have time to browse the web. Thanks about liking our house. If you really saw it though, you would see all the things that need fixing. The photos may be giving a false impression. It is a very nice home though and I do appreciate it. Thanks again!

The Bug said...

I'm fascinated by stories about spirits. I'm just so very literal that I'm pretty sure I'll never experience them myself, but I love the idea that other people see them.

We got chicken & hot dogs to grill today, but it's just so darn hot we'll probably wait until next weekend :)

Rudee said...

1. Those are gorgeous Irish Wolfhounds in the first dog photo.

2. You passed the adoption booth...did you feel a tug, or are the feral kitties enough for now?

3. I hope you moved that grill outdoors before cooking.

4. Hereafter was OK, but not what I expected. I felt the ending was flat.

5. I hope the suicidal woman apologized to her victim.

Brenda said...

Thanks Dana...hope you are feeling better!

Rudee....You crack me up!!!! I mean about the grill...

Renie Burghardt said...

We spent Memorial Day at the cabin on the river. Water is still way to high to put the jet ski in or go swimming, etc. The flooding in late April didn't damage the cabin, but left a bunch of sand all over the front. So instead of grass, we have sand now. But we did grill and enjoyed eating on the deck.

Interesting story about the woman with the near death experience. I am not much into the spirit world, but I'm sure it happens to some people. And Rudee always cracks me up, too! I think she'd make a good comedy writer.

Yeah, the weather is finally nice. Nice and hot, that is! Enjoy the rest of the week.

Brenda said...

Renie,
I am glad that you were able to enjoy the cabin. Sounds like the sand might be messy. If we have a lot of hot days hopefully the water will go down some so you can jet ski. Show us some photos if you can!

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever