Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mind Weeding


Today's mind weeding is about socializing.  Something I don't do very often or very well.    If it were up to me, I would probably rarely go out and mix and mingle with anyone.  Most of the things I really enjoy doing are easily done all by my lonesome.  Reading.  I used to think going to one of those book discussion groups would be fun.  My problem is that I don't see anyone wanting to discuss the books I like to read.  Quilting.  I have taken classes and go to quilt shows, but I have never joined a Quilt Guild or group.  It would be helpful to be amongst a group of women who know more than I do and could share their knowledge with me.  But....I just haven't advanced towards actually doing that.   Knitting.  I like to knit and watch TV.  I can not just sit and watch TV.  I never could.  I have to be doing something else.  I could use some help on the knitting  though...so that is another "should do someday" thing for me.  I think the reason I have been mulling this socializing thing over in my mind is because of all of the internet social networks out there now.   I have just been sitting back and kind of.... observing.  On Facebook for instance, I have so many news posts that come through.  At first I really liked them because I got a short glib of a headline story.  Then I made the mistake of clicking on the comments people would leave about that particular news item.  Arguing... back and forth... back and forth.  So many opinions....all so different.  Then they start insulting each other.  I can see blood pressures rising just reading this stuff.  At least Twitter only allows so many characters per tweet.  No long rants on there.  Blogging is something I really enjoy.  I just don't have as much time for it as I would like to.  I have only collected  a few nice people... over the past 3 years who read my blog... and leave comments on a regular basis.  I am sure if I had more time to spend visiting other blogs I could meet more people and maybe...just maybe..some of them would have some things in common with me. 
I just went in today to get a pedi and mani at a different place that isn't very far from me.  I really liked the place better than any of the others that I have been to, but now I feel like I sort of locked myself into the lady that gave the manicures, and her and I just didn't have all that much in common.  She was very good at what she does, so maybe we don't have to talk much.  Or maybe I should learn how to socialize with others a little better.  Sometimes I just think it is a real pain to try and find people I really like and really enjoy being with.  I have had a few friends through the years that I was excited to get together with....but it just seems as I age...my alone time is just.... comfortable.  If I don't change my attitude soon....I may be sorry someday.  Now I am threatening myself...and talking to myself.  Oh well...that is what mind weeding is all about for me.......

4 comments:

Rudee said...

I don't mind the solitude, either. I do make it a point to go out with others once in awhile and though I don't do it very frequently, I find myself occasionally enjoying a knitting class or spinning circle. A knitting bootcamp may be what you need for improving your knitting. Area knitting stores may offer such a course held over several weeks and designed to boost your skills.

The Bug said...

Ditto ditto - I just get stressed at the idea of organizing going somewhere with someone or to a group or something. I just like to do my thing by myself. But lately I've been sad because I don't really have any close friends around to talk about girl stuff with. But am I doing anything about it? Nope!

Renie Burghardt said...

I am surprised, Brenda. I kind of though of you as someone who likes to socialize. I enjoy my solitude as well, but I love to socialize. I went to garage sales today, and talked to several people there. Then, at the grocery store, I bumped into a couple of neighbors, and we stood around and talked for some time. Although we're neighbors, we're a half a mile to a mile apart, so we never talk while at home. Then I ran into a friend I haven't seen for a while, and we went for coffee at Mc'D's and yakked for an hour. I finally came home. Well, I'm making this much too long, but you get the idea, right? Hahaha. Have a great weekend!

Brenda said...

Renie,
I really do socialize a lot through church and things that Bob is involved in....I just don't always feel like it. I really enjoy getting together with people that I have a lot in common with...but the past few years that just hasn't been happening. I really appreciate all the blogging friends that I have though!

Thanks for your visits ladies!

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever