Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Fall of Giants


I am down to the last 100 pages of this book.  I just now found out that this is the first of a trilogy.  I read the Pillars of the Earth and saw the mini-series.  I loved both books and the movie.  Then I read World Without End...which was a follow up of Pillars of the Earth.  They are releasing a movie sometime in 2012 about that.  I can' t wait to see it.  However....Fall of the Giants has been a small struggle to get through.  I am not sure if I am struggling through it because it is about World War I or what.  I know so little about that war.  The photo below is of my Mom's father who was in World War I.  I really want to learn more about this war just because he was in it.    The next book after this one is going to be about World War II and the depression.  I think I will be able to identify a lot more about that book because I heard so many stories from my Mom and Aunts and Grandma about the depression.  As much as I hate wars of any kind..they are a part of our history and even if I can't agree with them or understand them...I still want to learn about them. 


Today is a day I remember every year because 33 years ago today our first born sons were born.  They were identical twins that had Twin Transfusion Syndrome.  Our first son, Nathaniel, died within the first hour, and our Nicholas died at 9 days old.  I think about them often and wonder what our lives would be like...had they been healthy and a part of our family.  I know that was not the plan though.  I hope to reconnect with their spirits when my body has finished with this world.  I am very grateful to have the two beautiful children we have and our two beautiful grand children.

3 comments:

Rositta said...

I'm having difficulty getting past the first 100 pages! I started it before we went to Greece in August and because I was forbidden (by my husband) to pack any books, it now sits on my shelf. In all fairness to my sweetie, he did have a point. I had packed 10 books for two months and we were only allowed 50 lbs each. He bought me a Kindle instead but I didn't really want to pay for a book I already had. I will get to it though someday soon...ciao

Rudee said...

I didn't get past page 50. It's one of two Follet books I couldn't read. This one was a real struggle and when that happens, I usually set it aside. I'm still looking forward to Vince Flynn's next book, but with his advanced cancer, I'm beginning to despair (for him) that we won't be seeing more of Mitch Rapp.

Brenda said...

Rositta,
I have been reading all my books on an electronic reader. I love it. But we still love going to bookstores and hope go keep them in business

Rudee,
I did not know that about Vince Flynn I just looked on his webpage and see that it is scheduled to come out February. I sure hope he pulls through the cancer.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever