Saturday, January 28, 2012

And the winner is.......


I just finished reading The Help and really loved it.  I have the film on order from Netflix and can't wait to see it.  I have seen the list of the nominees for the Oscars this year and don't know anything about the other films, but I hope this film wins.  I was shocked to find out that this was Kathryn Stockett's  first published book.  It took her five years to write it...but I thought it was one of the best books I have read in a long time.  I read mostly novels, and I read one after another.  The ones that are really good...in my opinion... are the ones that leave me thinking about them for days afterwards.    I usually enjoy watching  Award Shows.  I like the red carpet part the best.  Just to see all the dresses, etc.  I started watching the Golden Globes a few weeks ago...but tired of it after about an hour.  Sometimes I think it depends on who is hosting the show.  The last one that I really enjoyed was when Hugh Jackman hosted in 2009.  I thought that one was done with an old Broadway theme style.   I had no idea that he had so much talent in dancing and singing...  along with Anne Hathaway.  I would like to see more of those kinds of award shows. 
And.....I am excited that spring is 7 weeks away!  (Thanks Rudee...I had 3 weeks written earlier) But...with our peculiar weather...that doesn't mean all that much!  Still....we can say it is spring.

9 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

I also read The Help last year before I went to the movie. I liked both, but was glad I had read the book first. It was so much easier to follow what was happening in the movie. I don't really think it will win, I think everything with George Clooney and Brad Pitt will win. Of course that is just my opinion, and let me tell you I have a lot of them. ; )

I also like to watch the Red Carpet before the main attraction. Some of the gowns are lovely, and sometimes, I just set there and say; "Didn't she look in the mirror before she left the house!" However, what do I know?

Rudee said...

Annie and I are working our way through the nominee list for best picture. We finally saw The Descendants and was disappointed. If it wins best picture, I'd be shocked. Though it was a decent movie, The Help was a better story all the way around. Next up is The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I can rent Moneyball.

Is your calendar different than mine, or are you just sick of winter? I think you shaved a month off the wait.

Brenda said...

oops...Rudee you are right. First day of Spring is March 20th. I think I was thinking about Lent being three weeks away.

Brenda said...

Ann,
Yes I saw that Brad Pitt is in at least two of the movies nominated. The gowns for the Golden Globes were way to feathery at the bottom for me. There were only a couple of dresses that I liked. And most of them are too long. I don't know how they walk in them. I used to hem bridal gowns, etc. and I always had them just hitting the floor.
Rudee,
I was just thinking about trying to watch all of them before the awards come on. Hope I make it...

The Bug said...

I really need to get The Help on my list of books to read!

Betty F said...

Ha.. I always remember the First day of Spring.. March 20th is my birthday.. I'm not so much the "first day of winter" anymore... more like the end of a LONG HARD winter :) Love your post. I'd like to see the help and the Tom Hanks Sandy Bullock movie too.

Gigi Ann said...

I watched the SAG awards last night, and was surprised to see The Help won so many awards. Well, that made me happy, anyway. Most of the time, I really don't care, but this was a favorite of mine, so hoped it would win something.

Brenda said...

I watched most of SAG also Ann. I thought it was a nice award show. And...I got to see the red carpet!

Sandy said...

I'm thinking of ordering this when it comes on demand. It sounds great. I don't read anymore (other than the internet) so I haven't read it.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever