Monday, February 27, 2012

Coffee

Bob and I went out and ran some errands today after church and made our way to Cracker Barrel for a bite to eat.  The waitress kept asking me if I wanted more coffee, even though I told her one cup was probably all I was going to drink.  When she handed us the bill...she said "I feel bad that you only got one cup of coffee.."  I told her she could have given me 3 pots and it wouldn't have done any more for me than one cup...(except to visit the restroom more often).  Then I told Bob..."I wonder why she thought I should have more than one cup....is it the price?"  I looked at the bill and saw that it was $1.89 for one cup of coffee.  We expect to pay $3 or $4 for a cup from a coffee shop... but not from a restaurant.  Or at least I had a brain fog moment when I was remembering when it was 10 cents a cup.  Bob said he thought it may have cost that much when Roosevelt was President.  I thought it was when we first married.  So..I .had to look it up when I got home.  Yes indeed it was 10 cents a cup in the mid 70's.  Just looking that up.... lead me to read some things about coffee that I had forgotten about.  Like it makes some people jittery.  It hasn't made me jittery in years.  Maybe after age 50...it just stops working?  You get a headache if you don't drink it.  I don't get that anymore either.  Caffeine can ward off migraines.  I have to agree with that....because when I feel one coming on...I take Excedrin for Migraines and it usually keeps it from getting out of hand.  



One would think after looking at the above photo/chart (that I borrowed from Wiki) that we should all be drinking coffee as a vitamin supplement.  Some people can't drink coffee after a certain hour because it will keep them up at night.  Not me.  I can drink espresso from a coffee shop and take a nap afterwards.  I have not tried any of the energy drinks that have hit the market yet.  Like Red Bull, etc.  I have heard those are bad for you though.  I did try 5 hour energy and it did nothing for me.    I think for me personally....60 or 70 lbs off of my body would be the thing that would help me feel more energized.  It is so exhausting carrying around all this weight.  I wish coffee could help you burn off fat.  If you have read this post...share what picks you up...and gets you going.  Is it coffee...or something else....

5 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

I am not a coffee drinker. I do drink two cups of decaffeinated tea each morning. My weakness if Pepsi, which does have caffeine. I can only drink it for a treat now and again. This week I am entirely off of it, since I was awake all night Saturday, and didn't fall asleep until 5:00 AM Sunday morning, and got up at 7:30 AM Sunday morning. I was a very tired girl all day Sunday, and today.

The Bug said...

I don't drink coffee either - blech! :) But I do drink Diet Sun Drop - one to three cans a day. I can't have it after 4:00 or it keeps me awake (or gives me weird dreams).

Now Mike is another matter - we often joke that now he's had some caffiene so he'll be taking a nap shortly.

Renie Burghardt said...

Ilove good, strong Arabica coffee! Decaf, bleh! Not for me. But I do not drink any after about 3 PM, or I will be wide awake all night. Red Bull tastes good, but it wires you! It did me. My heart was racing. No more Red Bull. But it is tasty!

Later...

Rudee said...

My blood is 50 % serum and 50% Pike's Place coffee. I really couldn't live without the stuff, but I can't drink it late in the day, either. At 3PM, right before work, I have a cup of Earl Grey tea and then that's it for the night (usually).

Brenda said...

Thanks Ladies! I may have to search for the coffees that Rudee and Renie use. I do love coffee...maybe mine is just not strong enough. Ha If you come back...tell me what coffee making method you use.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever