Sunday, February 5, 2012

Waterpool


Our little kitty is adapting pretty well.  We still keep her upstairs for the most part...but there are plenty of places for her to explore, play and rest.  She is being spoiled...by me...with a new toy whenever I go out to the store.  She still has her claws, but I made an appointment for her Friday to get her front ones out.  I still wonder if I am doing the right thing...but she has really left some painful scratches on me.  I know she doesn't mean to and she is just being affectionate...but with my aging skin being so thin and sensitive....I feel like I may have to.  She has scratching post and most people think those should be enough...but those thumbs. (?)  ..those are really sharp and long. 
After the fight with the neighbors about the cats...I decided to call animal control and go ahead and trap the others that were outside.  I left the two that she owns for her to deal with.  Animal control works with them and if they are able to tame them...finds them homes with the help of the Humane Society and Pet Finders...maybe a few more organizations.  I know we bought our last dog, Clifford, through Pet Finders.  He was pretty much a perfect dog for us for many years.  A real member of our family.  His lose was very very hard on me.  I really did not want another pet to become attached to at our age....but...this little kitten stole my heart once again.  Something I really did not consider though...is that she could live 20 years and in 20 years we will be 80.  Well.....that is a depressing thought...but we never really know what the next day will bring us...much less the next 20 years.  Que Sera Sera.....
Waterpool seems to love everyone though.  If you pet her gently she is in heaven....
Superbowl day....blah.  Don't care for football.  But I know there are lots of people who do!  So hope your team wins!
PS...still working on my election for President.  Ha


8 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat Mortensen said...

Hi Brenda, I know it's tempting to have your new little cat declawed, but if you clip her regularly, you won't have any trouble. I use regular nail=clippers, but you can buy the ones that groomers use and it's very easy to do. I hold the cats on my lap (I put a folded towel on my lap, so that back claws don't catch my legs) like you would with a baby - facing out, tail folded under (not like a baby!) and then you take the paw in your hand and gently apply pressure to the main pad and the claws will pop out for clipping. If you do this regularly from the time they are young, you'll find it's easy and it saves having to remove their claws (and pay for the surgery)!

Some schools of thought believe that declawing is not painful, but I really don't believe that. I mean how can it not be? Even if you were sedated, having your nails pulled out would be pretty painful once the anesthetic wears off. There will be lots of blood. I know this because when I was a kid, my parents always had our cats declawed. I vowed I would never do this to mine.

I really hope you just consider the possibility of doing regular clipping so everyone will be happy.

Kat

February 5, 2012 9:05 PM

Kat Mortensen said...

Two comments popped up so I deleted one, but then the first one disappeared!

Brenda said...

Thanks Kat.....I will give that a try and see how it goes. As gentle as our Clifford was......I was never able to clip his nails so we'll see.

Rudee said...

Another alternative to declawing a cat is having acrylic applied to the tips. This dulls the nails and may be something you could consider. I would hate to see a once outdoor cat escape and have no way to defend herself. Sara had acrylic tips applied to Bentley's nails when he was young and it worked for awhile (but was a pricey alternative).

Claws aside, I'm so glad you've found another animal you can share your home and love with. I'd love a little kitty, but I don't think Leo would.

Kat Mortensen said...

If you need any tips, Brenda, feel free to ask. I clip my cats every couple of weeks.

Betty F said...

She's beautiful! I've never had a cat so know nothing about the claw or de-claw debate.. Our puppies have always marked Paul up. I know about becoming attached to an animal, Brenda, and loosing him.. All pet owners do I guess. I worry whenever Shane is slow to get up from laying down.

Sandy said...

She is so regal sitting there!

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever