Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Pity Party Continues



It will be 5 weeks tomorrow since the knee surgery and I am just not recovering the way I  that I had hoped.  I have full range of motion in my knee...but not without some pretty intense pain.  The full range of motion is good.  I just thought by now that the pain would be minimal.  It isn't.  If I just run a few errands or try and do some housework...I am in so much pain at the end of the day...I am exhausted and ill from it all.    Today I tried to wear a knee brace and try to relax my knee while I walked.  It didn't help.  I couldn't wait to sit down so that I could be free of the pain.  I can't ask for pain meds (nor would they give me any) because I am a recovering alcoholic.  Patience and time are the only things I have to look forward to.  I sure do hope that the pain will ease up soon.  Our weather is so beautiful right now.  I would love to be out there planting flowers or cleaning the garage or just going for a long walk somewhere.  I tried doing some on line exercises to strengthen the knee...but that caused very intense pain...and it made me wonder if I was doing them wrong and could maybe make it worse, so I stopped that.  I am thinking about trying the knee strap in the above photo to see if that helps me walk longer without so much pain.  In just 3 short weeks we are going to Paducah for the Quilt Show.  I didn't get to go the past two years and I am really looking forward to it.  We have an overnight planned so that will help.  It will be our 35th year of our first date.  Can't believe my hubby has put up with me all these years.......

4 comments:

Rudee said...

I am so sorry to hear of this continued pain. I totally understand your disappointment in the outcome. Perhaps a visit to the physical therapist is in order if only to find out if you're doing the exercises correctly.

The Bug said...

:( When I was doing my shoulder rehab I had some intense pain while I was AT the physical therapist's office. I thought they were crazy - but I guess they knew what they were doing.

Here's hoping that you have a lot of improvement before Paducah!

Brenda said...

Thanks Rudee and Dana! I may have to go check out the PT...I think I should be feeling better than this by now..

Sandy said...

I hope you get pain free motion soon and that you enjoy the quilt show. Bummer that you can't take some hefty pain medication for it.

I can't even handle a Vicodin - I'm an Advil junkie for stiffness etc. I take Advil for everything. They had me on some harder drugs in the hospital and I begged them for Advil. That's the only thing that works for me.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever