Thursday, August 16, 2012

My Restful Retreat


Most of all the photos I have... are of the Monastery Immaculate Conception in Ferdinand, Indiana.  I stayed from Thursday to Monday at the Kordes Retreat Center.  It was a silent retreat, and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed my stay.  I did have a schedule everyday, but everything was optional.  I had a wonderful spiritual director, Sister Karen.  She was a lot like me.  Kind of easy going and quiet.  A very good listener.  I have been very lax on reading the Bible and she asked me try and read it more.  She suggested I get involved in a Bible study group.  It just so happens one of the ladies in my carpool goes to one and I plan on trying to go to the one she goes to.  There were 13 of us ladies on the retreat, and every one of them ...seemed extra special to me.  Most all of them come from a different parish than mine...and I almost feel like dividing my time with them and my parish.  Their parish has so many more groups than our parish does, but that is probably because they are one of the largest parishes in our area.  I think they have 5,000 families.  I am not sure...but I think our parish has about half that many.  They have a large quilting group, and just lots of things for women to get involved in.  I am such an introvert and home body...I really need to get out more.



Scenic view on the the balcony of the Monastery.

 

They use the balconies when they have larger crowds. 




The Adoration Chapel is in a dome behind the altar.





I fell..... going out to church one morning on my left arm on concrete.  It is really bruised up and my elbow hurts when it pops out.  There were at least 3 nurses on the retreat and they all looked at it for me...and they put me through the tests to see if anything seemed broken, and it doesn't look like it.  I am not sure what the pain of it popping out of place is all about yet.  If it stays this way for another week or so...I guess I will go get it looked at.  Right now....I would just like to see if it can heal up on its own.  I am typing this with both hands...so I think that is proof it can't be anything too serious.  I hope I can get my daughter to go on one of these retreats because they are such a renewal of the body and spirit.  She works full time, takes care of her 2 and 4 year old daughters and will be moving soon.  So much on her plate....she really needs to just rest for a few days.  I enjoyed my retreat so much...I was not anxious to leave.  I think I could have stayed for a whole week.  I did miss my best friend, Bob and my little kitty and everyone else...but still it was great to get away for awhile.


4 comments:

Winifred said...

That sounds like a wonderful time Brenda. Since I left work I tend to stay at home a lot, sometimes I force myself out of the house. Those buildings look so beautiful your photographs are lovely.

Rudee said...

The grounds look just beautiful.

Please go get that arm looked at. You may have dislocated the joint or have a fracture that needs tending. Much as I love nurses, we've yet to develop xray vision.

The Bug said...

What a lovely place! I'm glad you had a good time.

sandy said...

Wow beautiful photos - hope by now you know for sure it isn't broken.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever