Thursday, May 2, 2013

Flight.....A Great Movie About Alcoholics


Last night I watched a movie called "Flight" starring Denzel Washington.  I really enjoyed the movie because its main story line is about alcoholism.  Being a recovering alcoholic myself...I felt like this movie portrayed what being an alcoholic is like... better than any other movie I have seen.  I first entered the AA program in 1998 and had almost 4 years sobriety when I relapsed in 2003 ....3 months shy of my 4 year Birthday.  I have maintained sobriety for at least 6 years, but I haven't been to a meeting since right before our grand daughter was born.  I started taking care of her a lot...so I just didn't fit the meetings in.  The AA program is a really good one and I learned so much when I went.  Those things I learned have saved me many times during these past 6 years.  I hope to go back to meetings sometime in the near future, because I realized how much I miss the meetings after attending the CRHP meetings.  It has been too long..... to not connect with other people in this way.  Of course if you are not an alcoholic you won't know what I am talking about.  That is the main purpose of going to meetings.  You are there with others who understand what you have been through.   I may do some more posts about this awful disease later....for now I just wanted to remember this movie and the impact it had on me.

3 comments:

The Bug said...

I didn't know this about you! Congratulations on your years of sobriety. I'll have to check out the movie :)

Rudee said...

I keep meaning to watch this movie, Brenda, and now with your recommendation, I think I will.

I did not know this about you, either. Hugs.

bettyjf1 said...

Paul got the movie a couple of months ago. I didn't want to watch it but it turns out to be a great movie. I didn't know you'd struggled with Alcoholism. My dad use to warn me that it "ran" in our family and when I thought I might have a problem, I stopped drinking, didn't realize that gambling could be the same.. I know what you're talking about with needing meetings some times.. I went to GA for years. Sending love and good thoughts.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever